Thursday, November 26, 2009

Buy Nothing Tomorrow!

I came across a blog posting today from planetfriendly.net announcing that tomorrow, Friday Nov. 27 is worldwide Buy Nothing Day. I have heared about this day before but honestly never gave it much thought because a) I never knew what day it was on and b) was just too busy to make an effort.

I don’t think these are very valid excuses, so this year I am going to attempt to resist the urge to spend for 1 day to reduce my consumption…sounds simple enough!

Buy Nothing Day has been happening since 1992 and was started by a Vancouver artist, Ted Dave. The idea is that it is an international day of protest against consumerism and a day for society to examine the issue of over-consumption (65 nations now participate).

It’s a an interesting concept that promotes the idea and practice of consuming less…which is key if we hope to change the current environmental state of the world!

Wish me luck!

<3>

No comments:

Post a Comment